Saturday, May 18, 2013

Free Crochet Pattern for a Tea Cozy



As promised, I will post a new and improved crochet pattern for my tea cozy.  I love love tea, don't you?  A hot cup of tea on a drizzly chilly rainy morning........oh, so good.

I posted a not-real-good picture of my purple one a month ago or so.  Where does time go!?  At least a month ago but I'm too lazy to go find out the exact date.  


I finally finished what I think is a tea cozy that should fit most round pot belly type tea pots.  It doesn't hurt to continue to measure as you go.  You do want it to fit?  If you do not join at the end of the rounds, make sure you use a marker.


I made two cozies and put one inside the other.  I also made the inside one a bit longer with a different colored edge so it showed beneath the upper one. Please read through instructions first and test your hook and yarn for the gauge.


Here we go:


Crochet hook size H

cotton yarn such as Sugar and Cream
I used one really large skein of Bernat bought at JoAnns, must have been a pound or two.  I don't have the label anymore
GAUGE:  8 STS TO 1" AND 5 ROWS TO 1"


1.  Chain 2, 8sc in 2nd chain from hook, join


2.  2 sc in each sc around, join  (16 sts)


3.  1 sc in first sc, (2 sc in next sc, 1 sc in next sc continue around in this manner) (24 sts)


4.  2 sc in first sc, (2 sc, 2 sc in next stitch, continue around in this manner) (32 sts)


5.  2 sc in first sc, (3 sc in next stitch, continue around in this manner)  (40 sts)


6.  2 sc in first sc, (4 sc, 2 sc in next stitch, continue around in this manner) (50 sts)


7. sc around one row


8.  2 sc in first sc, (5 sc, 2 sc in next stitch, continue around in this manner) (60 sts)


9.  sc around one row


10.  2 sc in first sc, (6 sc , 2sc in next stitch continue around in this manner) (70 sts)


11.  sc around one row


12.  2 sc in first sc, (7 sc, 2 sc in next stitch continue around in this manner) ( 80 sts)


13.  sc around one row


14.  2 sc in first sc, (8 sc, 2 sc in next stitch continue around in this manner) ( 90 sts)


15. and 16.  sc around


17.  2 sc in first sc, (9 sc in next stitch continue around in this manner) (100 sts)


18.  Now the tea cozy will begin cupping, or it should (LOL not funny I know) so continue with as many sc rows you need to make the cozy the length you want minus about 1".


When you reach this point:


1.  DC in each sc around, join if you are doing so or just keep going around.  Make sure you have the beginning marked.  


2.  Dc around dc from previous row from front to back making a post, dc around dc of previous row from back to front making a post and continue around.


3. Repeat rows one and two till the desired length.


4.  Sc around to finish


5.  Crochet a loop and attach it to the top



NOTES

I made mine double thickness so made another one and slipped it over the top of the first one.  They fit snugly.   The top one can be shorter than the underneath one or can be the same length.

If it isn't cupping or might be too big for your tea pot, you can decrease evenly about 5 stitches every few rows so you need to think ahead.


I sometimes change colors during this section of the process to make stripes.  You can join at the end of every row or not.  That's up to you but it does make for a neater finish if you plan on changing colors.

If you find any errors, please let me know........I wrote this as I worked so it should be correct.


Happy crocheting!






No comments: